Friday, November 28, 2008

Cycling Injuries

To conclude this month's posting frenzy, I end (up) with cycling injuries.

I got hurt twice yesterday while cycling. The area from loyang to changi is quite a hilly road.
While riding perpedicular to a steep, downhill road of slightly more than 30 degrees, I manoevered my bicycle slightly upwards as I estimated that the incline would pull the bicycle down, compensating for the rise. Unfortunately, I overestimated it and as I cycled back onto the track on the other side, the front wheel hit the curb, lifting the bicycle into an airborne position for 2 meteres.

I crashed into the metal fence which saved me from a terrible fall of 5 storeys, flew forward into the bicycle frame and slightly hurt my shin.

That was nothing compared to the second injury.

While cycling downslope slowly, where joelle fell the last time, I made a slight turn. I didn't expect anything to happen at that speed or angle. But it skidded. This is what I think probably happened.

I cycled at a pace at which the wet ground was probably maintaining the bicycle's speed. When I turned, the front wheel of the bicycle changes direction, and thus it slow down. However, the inertia of the backwheel caused it to continue at its speed and that probably explains why my bicycle suddenly turned sideways by so much as I turned the handle and started skidding. It brought my knees to the ground and scratched it as it acted as a brake.

That hurt a lot...

Really unlucky was that the part that was scratched was the part that stretched when I brought my knee up. So I could not really cycle back properly.

That slope seems to be a real accident hot spot. Joelle tumbled, I skidded, Ryan fell for some unknown reason and Jk went offroad, onto the grass. I guess its probably due to the slope and simultaneous turning.

They really should transfer the useless "dismount and push" signs at lifeless bus stops in changi to more usefull areas like these steep slopes, so that people would know when to 'DAP' at the right time.

The deep wound has not sealed yet...that disgusting pus seeps on everytime I press onto my plaster. I can't really climb the stairs properly either now.

I am leaving for Hong Kong on Sunday. So expect a week-long dead blog. Bye!

No comments: