Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Discipline

I am going to talk about one of my bad habits. Something to do with what everyone of us have to do everyday. Something essential for all of us, if we want to get anything done, that is. Something that all of us are supposed to do in the morning, something that all of us will do the first thing when we get up, and I am sure about it. That is waking up itself.

How many times have I been late for school because of this? How many times did I hold back my urine, just because I was too lazy to get my lazy body out of bed? How many times did I say I want to wake up early so that I can do some jogging, and in the end decided to do it tomorrow? To the last question, most recently yesterday morning.

I am going to take this passage as a guide from the book '8th habit' I have read quite some time ago. Discipline is not all about caning, corrective work order, or any form of punishment. It is having some control over your mind.

Some might think that with discipline, one has no freedom, confined to rules and all, but this is not true when you are the one disciplining yourself. In my case, by disciplining and telling myself to wake up at a given time, I am breaking free of other things controlling me, and gaining freedom from all these; like luxury of sleeping, comfort of the air-con, or not wanting to get up because the soft matress is grabbing you to the ground.

Just before the holidays started, my mother asked me to wake up. I did not. Ten minutes later, it was time when I should have left house already, but still...When I finally woke up, I fell half-asleep in the toilet. At 20 minutes behind my usual time, I rushed to school (Or perhaps I did not...)

Its amazing what a little discipline in to our lives can make. On one of the rare occasions when I woke up early for a jog, I felt time pass into the middle afternoon, when it is actually still late morning. People say that everyone is given same amount of time to spend everyday, I think how much time we have its only a matter of how we organize it.

Nice day today...woke up early and found nothing much to do for the rest of the afternoon...

No comments: