Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Gathering

Last Sunday was 302 class gathering at Guilin view condo.

We went there to play badminton at the tennis courts.

We went to play pool in the billiard room.

We played cards by the swimming pool.

And then people started setting up the bbq.

Certain people says that as a vegetarian, I am not able to understand the meaning of all this crap, but I think I am perfectly clear about it.

Oh and I guess that some people will also point out to me that bbqs are time for class bonding and we can talk and eat and while making the fire it helps brings us closer together.

Really?

The most prominent problem over here, is the smoke. I hate the smoke. Others hate the smoke. The environment hates the smoke. The amount of smoke produced just to cook some stuff is appalling. The smell is horrible. The air turns carcinogenic. What is the gain?

Secondly, it would be the expense. Expense of money, expense of time. The money used to buy the charcoal, the time just to set up the fire. And what about the food, it doesn't really turn out that good in the end, does it? All those carcinogens entering one's body, what is the worth? What's more, whether self-cooked or bought, there is so much more healthier and better tasting food out there.

What does it mean for a barbeque to be a class gathering. Do barbeques help people to get to know each other better? I think what they mean is the talking and interaction. When do we not see talking and interaction in our daily lives? What makes this kind of lighting fires and burning stuff different?

In all, what is the simple point of barbeques, other than the food of course?

As I was sitting in a corner minding my own business, and some people came to join me, we were blamed of slacking, but doesn't too many cooks spoil the broth? And not everyone has learnt just yet to appreciate fresh smoke and pollution.

Later that evening, it started raining, and although it was only a short downpour at first, it turned out to be ceaseless. People scrambled to get umbrellas, and cover up the food and grill. Call me selfish or whatever, but I couldn't help telekinetically urging the fire to burn out.

And thus feeling quite bored, I slid around on the wet floor and swung my badminton racket with cover in the air, blowing down patches of water from the top of umbrellas and blowing plants.

Lastly, a few people might think that my dislike for barbeques has got something to do with my vegetarianism. It has, but even if it doesn't, I still hate it.

As wh walked me out of the condo, she asked me about me being vegetarian. Then soon my answer became "Its better", and I realised that I was not really ready to say too much regarding this. But its true, its better.

When I got home, I could still smell the smoke on my clothes.

Barbeque - one of the worst ideas for a gathering. I tell myself not to attend anymore such events.

Why is such a thing even invented in our modern-day society.

No comments: