Wednesday, June 30, 2010

World of Science - Aerodynamics

Woke up at six on tuesday, and I was almost late for school. Fortunately my judgement did not fail me, and I alighted at Dover MRT station, ran to school in the rain. After that, had fits of sneezing during the national anthem, but I was relieved that my sneezing stopped after "Expelling the 'yin' out of my body"(Do not take this seriously, please).

Went to DSO in the afternoon, and ate mee goreng. For the umpteenth time, I know I cannot take spicy food, but I keep on eating them. When I got home, I got the same burning sensation when I poop, supposedly caused by the chemical capsaicin as I have read up, found strands of tough long shits and an orange block which looked rather much like a carrot, and the water in the toilet filled to the brim after an unsuccessful attempt to flush it.

After an hour of watching the lego nxt robot making rounds, jk and I left. It makes many frequent and minor analytical errors and assumptions, due to the rather simplistic hardware and code we used.

Speaking of which the next day, Wednesday, we went there again and kept on running the robot and made changes to parameters, as if hoping that the robot will finally learn how to do its task right after enough trials. Almost fell asleep under the table...

I left and went back to school for aerodynamics. Almost late, and had to run from the Singapore Polytechnic bus stop back to school. Then I found that my bag was trapped in class and ran to the general office trying to rescue my bag. By the time I got to Aerodynamics I was really sweaty, so sweaty that I could smell my own stink (People usually are oblivious to their own smell)

About aerodynamics. I was rather unsure about this at first, because after attending the aerodynamics lecture during the physics camp day 1, I found that I did not understand anything about fluid mechanics. So I regretted it and hoped that I had taken up cryptography instead.

But surprisingly, I found the module really good, so far at least. Tonnes better than the Artificial Intelligence module. And the funny thing was that the lecturer who lectured aerodynamics at the NUS physics Camp was the same one lecturing this module, and the slides he used were exactly the same.

However, ever since I went for the aerodynamics lecture, I came to realise that if aerodynamics and fluid mechanics was to be understood by secondary school students, our air spaces would not be safe at all. So I had my expectations drop really low and I no longer find it discouraging if I do not understand aerodynamics.

As I looked at the course outline, it was similar to the lecture at physics camp, only the topics were more in depth, and spanned across some 10 weeks. So I was rather happy for that glimpse of hope of me being able to understand something.

After the lecture of the first lesson, we played with paper airplanes. A really childish yet fun session.

I am looking forward to the next lesson and upcoming field trips for aerodynamics.

No comments: