Tuesday, June 22, 2010

18 km cycle

I think I have cooled down already. I wouldn't mind going for the bio-resonance test thing now, but I lack my cellphone, which hinders my means of communication. However, like I said, if I keep on regretting my decisions, I will never get anywhere and probably later I will regret that I regretted my decision.

I am a rather short-tempered person actually, but some people except for my family don't really see it. Short-temperedness doesn't mean shouting and starting to swear and curse. I express it differently, and I remember clearly one rather recent event, I vent my frustration by saying a rather insulting statement. Or another time just sitting alone, or what other people call 'being emo'.


I have been trying to kick this habit for long, by forcing myself to stop and let intellect take over for a little time, before reacting. I did that more in primary school, but now, kinda forgotten this exercise. After this, I should practice this more often.


The fact that one appears calm on the surface doesn't mean that one is of patient nature. Patience comes from within, and as long as the usual character is disturbed, cannot be with held by your own will, it is a sign that you have lost your temper, be it expressed vocally or not.


This time, it was expressed as some rather rash decisions of not participating in the research.
The consolation I can get out of this is that I have not really done anything wrong, because I didn't promise my friend that I will participate.

Making a promise is dangerous, because anything under the sun can happen, and when that happens, you hurt someone, you've committed a sin and that can be all avoided by not giving people too high hopes by using the word 'promise'.
I would much rather say "I promise that I will try my best to attend" instead of, "I promise that I will attend" (Unless someone points a knife at my throat and makes me make a dead promise) Believe that that slight change in phrasing makes a hell lot of difference, for others, if not you.

My holiday traing plan has failed.

At the first half of the holidays, I had chest pains, discouraging me from running daily. Now its over, but the fact that half of the holidays is gone makes me think "What kind of training can I do in one week. Hopeless." Which I know of course isn't true. But its still rather discouraging.

Then recently, I picked up an alternative exercise should I not feel like running. And its easy too, considering that I have a bicycle.

www.walkjogrun.net

I found this website. It gives you user uploaded training routes. The best thing I like this over google maps is that you don't have to follow roads. So I can track where I run into Pasir Ris Park, and I can draw the route across roads which do not exist in Google maps but exist in reality.

Another rather special thing about this site is that it gives you the calories burned. However I doubt its accuracy, because based on the programme the calories burned is the same whether you ride the bike, walk slowly or sprint all the way. I don't think they take into account elevation either, although elevation is shown.

This past two days, I have cycled to the end of Pasir Ris park and back, totalling 10km. Today I tried something different. I saw a route uploaded that was 20 km long which went along Loyang Avenue and Changi Coast Road.




Cycled along New Loyang Link, and down Old Tampines Road.

Whee! As I reached speeds that I can never reach on flat ground.

5 minutes later: *pants* *switches to gear 1* Wrong direction...

Then I reached Upper Changi Road North. Passed by Changi Prison, and many of the red signboards which says restricted area. Everytime I see those sign boards I feel rather uneasy, like someone, like the figure on the signboard, was going to come out and shoot me, mistaking me for an intruder...

Then I finally reached Tampines Expressway, only to realise that there was no way of crossing to Upper Changi Road East.

Unless you cycle along this onramp onto a flyover and wait for the cars to filter out into PIE and then continue cycling, hoping that no cars are behind you.

That guy who uploaded the route really doesn't know sense, and I blindly assumed that they guy knew what he was doing. Perhaps I missed out some hidden crevice that leads to an underpass that goes under the expressways. :O Turns out that I never missed anything, and the uploader probably just traced the route on the map without even trying it out in reality first. Really want to report that guy, but dont' know how.

So I decided to adventure around in Changi. Went to Tanah Merah Besar Road and took a detour from there onto Changi North Way. The feeling of being in such a foresty and deserted place for the first time is rather scary, like any disaster can occur any moment then.

Changi North Way was really long. Wanted to turn back halfway because I didn't know how long it was, but curiousity got over me. Then the road came to a junction, and after turning into Changi North St. 1, I was back to where I was quite some time ago, near the expressway along Upper Changi Road North. So I had to cycle back again.

Reached Loyang Avenue, but I didn't feel very satisfied because I haven't completed my 20 km 'mission'. So decided to prolong my cycle by cycling around Pasir Ris.

'Adventure' in Changi, a place full of slopes, was hard. Finished cycling in 1 hour 50 minutes

No comments: