Monday, June 21, 2010

So many problems...might as well not participate

I know myself, logically, that this isn't anyone's fault in particular, but I can't help feeling like I am a victim and at times, actually close to angry at this whole thing (Thing, not person), and thus I pulled myself out of participation in some bio-resonance therapy research.

First, minor matters, I started to feel unsure if my friend really knew what he was doing, especially when he mentioned the phrase: 'removing chi channels'. I try to keep the offense level minimal here, so pardon me.

*I am going*

Second, I doubt the purpose of the research, especially after my other friend pointed out, that since bio-resonance therapy is not scientifically recognized, what is the point of measuring its effectiveness without an explanation to how it works. Then it would be in vain wouldn't it? It still won't be accepted.(this was meant as a joke)

Third, electric signals. Hmm, what if the researcher accidentally turned the voltage too high and I get electrocuted?

*Hmm, I'll see who's going*

Fourth, and beyond, was what was really starting to affect me. I saw the parental consent form. Oh my, so troublesome, I thought. Again, I am undoubtedly under 21 so I have to have my parent's consent for participation.

*Hmm*

Seventh, I did not have my phone with me, which made things even more frustrating, because I would have some trouble contacting anyone. Then I tried calling my friend, and he didn't pick up, leaving me feeling rather...in a spot.

*I'll see how things are tomorrow."

Sixth, I couldn't open the files in ms word 2007, which was needed in order to print the forms. I requested my friend to send it in 2007, and I got it once again in the unopenable format (ms word 2003)

*What do you want from me now?*

Seventh, "send a soft copy of the questionairre", which was read-only and locked, so I can't even type a word in it even if i saved it as another file.

*This is ridiculous*

Eighth, no incentive. But I was willing to help.

Ninth, no transportation subsidies. Its at woodlands, I live at Pasir Ris.

*Patient now..1,2,3, breathe out...breathe in...4,5,6. I am just doing someone a favour..*

Tenth, no medical subsidy if subject is harmed as a result of the research. Then my friend explained to me that its because they didn't have any funding, and the risk is so low, and what they meant was that there will be no compensation for injury was that if I was sick beforehand and I did not inform them then its my fault. So that means if they were careless I will have to pay for their carelessness.

*You've gotta be kidding me.*

Elaborating on point ten. There is absolutely no incentive for participation, and that implies that all participants would most probably know the researchers. So the chances are if they are not feeling well they would either quit, or inform the researcher. Because even if they participate, the gain is not much. So I think these researchers should give their participants at least, a sense of security by at least having a clause which guarantees compensation if they were harmed during the research. Under the circumstances I have just set up, any harm or injury is MOST probably a result of the research.

Then I showed my dad point ten and asked him if he thought that this has gone too far already. And then he, who originally did not mind me going, said don't go.

*That's it!*

And so I'm not going.

To other participants who might see this. I am merely abiding by the rule in the form which states "Your participation is voluntary".

No comments: