Sunday, January 18, 2009

Orientation-Day Three and the Initiation Night

It has been quite some time since I last posted, as school life has been quite busy for me over the last few days. So now, here I am writing about the last episode of orientation...

Finally, the last day of orientation.

Like the day before, we watched a video as a start to the next activity, which was the mad race. Unfortunately, I got called off to the dentist and missed the entire race, which sounded quite fun when people told me about it.

I went to the clinic, waited for some 45 minutes in a queue and it was at last my turn. The dentist spotted a root of my milk tooth and a small chipped of fragment of another tooth. Then, she told me that she had many others to attend to, thus I would have to make an appointment some other day. So, she scanned my teeth fo 10 minutes and then thats the end, which pissed me off quite badly due to the long waiting and yet having to come once again for another dental encounter.

Walking off with a slight trauma of the dentist when it was over, I proceeded back onto the track for the next activity, which was battleship.

Out in the sweltering hot sun, we sat on the burning podium and watched through the slits of our eyes. Finally, it was my class' turn to play, and I hoped that I would be splashed with a bucketful of cooling water. And yes, I did get wet, of sweat, not water. Still, it was still quite cooling while I was in the center of people getting splashed as water was all around. The bad thing is that unless I was splashed, the cool would be all gone once I returned to my seat.

After lunch, we rehearsed for our dance performance, which went quite well.

It was time for the performances as evening neared. Our performance went quite smoothly and well, as we can tell from people clapping and cheering. In the end, we got third! First went to 305, which did a 'terrible' parody of the song 'my love'. Basically, they changed the nouns only, which thus resulted in nothing but a bunch or words related to zoo. Still, the singing was quite good, but they could have had more action on the stage, which would make it even better; although they are already top. :P

308's singing was even better, but unfortunately they did not get the top three.

The evening progressed slowly, and as the limelight turned to the year ones, I started discussing about the academics in our school with the new students. Apparently, no one bothered.

That's the end of the three orientation days. Through the activities, not so much that I got to know my new classmates better, which would come even later, but more that I could communicated better with them and hopefully, our new class would become increasingly bonded through the next two years...

Initiation Day:

This is a day where lessons progressed as normal(unfortunately), and I got very tired, especially in the afternoon. Soon, it was time for the CCA fair.

I had absolutely nothing to do.

I followed people, but then, they were either too busy with their friends or too keen on looking at the different CCA exhibits.

I went to the hall, went to the concourse, and went to 305.

I played some chess with ben, but soon he left.

I went to the tennis court but there was nothing much to do there.

So I walked around without aim on my own.

I felt just as bad as how I felt science centre last year, probably worse. Maybe not so much of feeling as if no one cared, but I had another kind of mentality, that I was going to walk about for 3 whole hours without getting anything done, wasting precious time away. If I had someone to talk to, probably I would feel better, as it was a kind of relationship-building by chatting, and it would not be as time wasting as it would be walking around alone. But yes, I was alone.

I used to had these kind of feelings last year during certain weekends. That would be when I have almost no homework to do, and especially when I just sleep till noon, and then lie on the bed or watch television for the rest of the day. At the end of Sunday, I would regret having wasted this precious relaxing weekend without getting anything done. I could not call it relaxing, I could only call it watching time pass away slowly...

That was exactly how I felt, only a lot worse.

Still, I continued walking in hope of finding someone, and I did! Co-incidentally, I met gen and apparently she was wandering around too. So, we walked around and talked. Finally, I had someone to talk to.

We started talking about changing CCAs. I wasn't happy with my current CCA, and neither was she. She wanted to join track, and that gave me an idea to join track too. Thus, after some chatting, it was time for me to go for the tryouts.

I did not know what I was good at, in fact, I was not very good at running either, but surely, track could not be worse than my previous CCA. So I went, and did 100m in 16s and 400m in 1:20. Dayna was also there, and she was the fast one, who kept on pushing me to run faster. Still, my timing was better than before, but still not too good...

After exhaustion of my leg and abdominal muscles, it was time for dinner. The terrible thing was that my long pants were too small, I drank too much water before, and yet the dinner was heavy. I could not finish more than half of it.

At night, it was the initation ceremony, which was, not to say boring, but watching it was kind of pointless. The best part was when we received the light sticks and I started playing with it.

Soon, the concert was over. The crowd dispersed quickly and once again, I was alone. Walking with a drag in my feet towards the bus stop in the night, I thought about how the new year would be like...

Once in a while, silence is a lonely, yet beautiful thing.

No comments: