Thursday, January 8, 2009

A dental encouter

The secondhand ticked away to the last few minutes of the comfort in my seat. The teacher blabbered away with her lame jokes in the background, with listening to them currently being the best way to drain the seconds away. To the last few seconds this time bomb anticipated, and my heart rate accelerated with traumatizing suspense.

Finally.

2:30.

My near future raced across my eyes and waited for the right moment for the teacher to stop talking. I raised my hand.

"I have to go to my dental appointment now"

With the "free to go" gesture, I actually hoped that she would force me to stay in her lesson. I opened the back door with great struggle, turning the lock clockwise and anti-clockwise ceaselessly, until my friend pointed out that it was not even closed properly...

I walked alone, along those lonely corridors.

I scaled alone, down the steep mountaneous staircases.

I trekked alone, through the trees and across the grasslands of the car park.

Reached.

Stepping pass the door of the dental vehicle, I saw a dentist devouring one of his victims with the cruelest utensils.

I lay on the chair and felt the ceaseless vibration aggravating my heartbeat. The chair lowered, and he was ready.

As he drilled and my mouth got sprayed by weird tasting plain water, my heart never slowed down its pumping. Every minute pause was like a oasis in the desert, allowing me to catch my breath. But my mouth never got to rest; it lies open, and I did not even dare move my lips, in fear of getting hurt. Every moment the tools forced my teeth a little too hard, my torso would jerk up together with it. My breath would hold. Even when they were let go, as the probing and drilling continues, the slight breaths I took were precisely and carefully controlled.

Was he patching my tooth, or was he pulling out the baby tooth root?

The answer was out. It was the former, and that meant I was in for even more mental torture through the perilous atmosphere every dental clinic held.

This time, I got a longer rest. The words of the dentist reverberated about my head.

"I am going to give you anasthaesia."

"I am going to give you anasthaesia."

"I am going to give you anasthaesia..."

A squirt hit the side. It was like a bullet penetrating through my mouth, and the 'venom' spread quickly, numbing the entire left of my mouth. It felt really weird, and all the more I did not dare to move my jaws due to the numbness.

The needle pierced through my pitiful gums, and stayed there. There was not much pain, but the feeling of it being in my gums gave me some terrible mentality. As if he was trying to lengthen my suffering, the dentist just inserted the needle slowly, bit by bit, and each extension into the gums just gave me more fear.

At last, he pulled it out. He probed, yanked and scratched my tooth. This time, even more jerking, movement of my chest, and a imaginary rope hanged me by the neck as the jerking continued...

Finally, it was over.

I stepped out of that horror house.

No comments: