Sunday, August 8, 2010

World of Science - Aerodynamics - Part 6

My SJChO Silver medal. :) I think their logo is very creative. If you can't see it clearly it's actually 5 benzene rings linked together, just like the olympic rings.

This time we went to the NTU Hanger to look at the aerospace exhibitions. I don't have a camera.


("Photos" are simplified with a few content eliminated due to obvious reaons)

That yellow thing behind the helicopter is a wind tunnel. It is only allowed to be operated up to 15m/s because the glass doors are just in front, which leads into the road)

First we visited a tiny gallery about flight and several experimental set-ups to study aerospace related things. One of them included a set up to test the vibration of different materials and shapes of wings. Then we went into a lab where the guide showed us a water tunnel, sort of like a wind tunnel to test aerofoils, only the medium is water.

There was a white sheet of metal resting on the table folded into the shape of a paper aeroplane. I thought it was paper at first, until the professor picked it up and I heard the sound of metal. A little dangerous for ignorant people.

Then we walked into a warehouse-like room which had this closed circuit wind tunnel. It didn't appear quite as I expected. I was expecting something cyclindrical and sleak looking, the sort of way I imagine particle accelerators to be, but it turned out to look like a line of beautifully arranged shipping containers. It was suppsoed to be really loud when in operation, so the researchers had to be closed in a room with cameras and windows to prevent them from going deaf.

When we were done, another person talked to us about fighter planes, and then brought us to a classroom with flight simulation programmes on computers, fitted with equipment. I'm not sure if it would have happened in real life or if it was just the unrealistic nature of the programme, but my boeing type airplane pitched into the air 90 degrees when I let go of the steering, and it happily proceeded to flip upside down. And the altitude did not drop.

By the time I got the hang of flying the plane, it was time to go.

Finally we listened to a short talk about propulsion, which included the different kinds of jet engines, ion thrusters and solar sails.

The End.

No comments: