Saturday, May 3, 2008

To Sentosa - Part 1, the beach

It was the last exam paper yesterday. At approximately 11:30, my class and I left for a class outing at Sentosa.

We took a bus to Vivo City. Pyq and Nick we nt for lunch only then, and thus the rest of us went looking around. However, not long after they had finishedtheir lunch, most of the class were already at the arcade. Those who were not were Nar, Joelle, Melvin, Nic and I. Melvin was quite keen in going, but he was wearing school pants, like me. Joelle did not like the atmosphere there-she says the darkness make it strange and it slightly scared her. As for me, I find arcade games quite expensive and at the same time I did not like dark and noisy places. Anyway, I was wearing school pants, so five of us sat in a circle and played some simple games until the rest came back half an hour later. By that time, it was already 2pm.

Being very late, we set off to sentosa on the monorail. We went to Palawan beach. There happened to be a camera crew there filming some chinese drama. Christopher Lee was there and some girls went crazy over him.

There seemed to be nothing much to do on the beach, so I dug holes and built mountains of sand. Soon, several people joined in. It was about when we heard that Ben cut his foot. He was climbing the rocks near the ocean when he fell onto the wet sand, resulting in quite a bad cut from the rocks. His wound was addressed to before he sat down under the trees. I wouldn't have climbed the rocks if I were him. After visiting "the rocks" later, I realised the rocks were quite steep and jagged. Just below it was the shoreline of very fine and slippery sand. These made it quite a dangerous climbing spot for anyone (at least that is what I think). Surveying an area for any risks or dangers is important before doing anything, just like how I almost stepped on red ants near palm trees later. The camera crew then came to "our spot" and we got chased. Thus we journeyed across the coarse and scorching sand to a shelter in the centre of a beigh sea. There, we dug holes and built mountains again, and buried people's feet.

For some reason, sand furthur away from the sea is very coarse, and as we go nearer to the sea the sand gets finer and loose enough to replace a cushion. The sand at the shoreline is very fine but very compact, probably due to abundance of water. What I do not really understand is why the sand gets fine near the sea. Is it because of more weathering and erosion from the sea water?

For the first time, I visited the southernmost point of Continental Asia where Joelle, Emman, Dillon, Cheryl and Kat were. It was no different from the main beach and with one word to describe it-boring.

Near 5pm, Dillon, cmc and I went to get slurpees for 8, afterwhich we had light activities like throwing a frisbee around. At 5:30, we left the beach, but not sentosa...

No comments: