Sunday, May 25, 2008

Level Camp 2008-Part 2

I kicked around in my sleep. In the end, I slept in hurberg's place, hurberg was pushed to ben's place and ben was pushed to...erm, the table-he was squeezed. Sorry everyone.

We had breakfast. Then, there was the activity 'double or nothing'. We were given $20 and supposed to earn as much as possible, prefably twice of what we spent. The money would go to charity to the Sichuan earthquake or Cyclone Nargis victims. After much discussion, it was decided that we sell ice-cream floats. We went to Elias mall on foot with tzy complaining about its 'tiresome' walk. After making them on a coffee shop table, we started selling them in Elias mall. I felt that we should not make use of other's property without permission. Selling them in Elias mall was another problem. There were lots of stalls selling food there. At first several suggested selling somewhere else, like the void deck of a flat, but thinking about it, there would not be much passer-bys there.

Our floats looked like white shit in diarrhoea water. In hope of increasing more customers, we decided to tell them that they get a free ice-cream by donating one dollar to charity instead of asking them to buy them for a dollar. This had its problems too. Many people asked for proof that we were raising funds, since we were not in school uniform. However, some kind-hearted people donated more than a dollar. I guess each way of doing things has its pros and cons. This was what I learnt from this activity.

After selling the ice-cream floats (unsuccessfully), we were 2 dollars off making our profits double. So we decided to sell chocolates with straw hearts, or should I say give people chocolate with straw hearts for donating 50 cents. At the end, we were not so unsuccessfull after all. We took a bus back to the camp due to popular demand taking bus. This activity was considerably interesting compared to the others, but is this what people do when they go camping? Fund-raising and Camping-I can't see the relation between them. When we returned to the campsite, we were told the same things that we learnt from this activity- teamwork, time-management and everything we heard before and expect to hear.

We had lunch and after that, a game called gladiator. Each team had a hoop covered in newspaper which when broken, the team loses. Instead of using waterbombs, we used water-soaked sponges to attack probably due to the mess no one would want to clean up later. Players can be "killed" by suffering a direct shot on the back.

Tzy was defending the hoop. I did not play much, for I was a little confused on what to do when some people kept on gesturing to me (one of them scolded) which only later I realised they wanted me to defend the other side. The moment I did that, ben ran in front of me, dodged a shot and thus a sponge hit me on the side instead. Fortunately, it was the side, not the back. Unfortunately, I was still eliminated, do not ask me why, ask the judges.

Him: You! You are hit!

Me: Yes, but it was on the side...

Him: Yes, it hit the side of your shirt, so you are out.

Me: ...

At one point in time in the game, someone dealt a headshot on tzy. The sponge glanced against his face and broke the newspaper. By the rules, she should have been kicked out as that was an illegal move, but since it was an accident, she was spared. The game went on. Surprisingly, for a second time, another person carried another sponge and broke our newspaper for a second time. Then, we were really confused on what was going on.

Judge: 205 out!

We: We already lost.

Judge: No, it was a foul just now.

We: But you did not say we were still in.

Judge: Did I say you were out?

We: Look, just now when the other team suffered a foul you gave them new newspaper but you did not give us, so we guessed we were out...

Judge: Did I say you were out?

We: No, but how do we know if we were supposed to continue playing?

Judge: Did I say you were out?

Previously, it was also mentioned that regardless of circumstances, anyone commiting a headshot would be out, but that rule was not obeyed just because it was an accident. Besides that, when someone broke the newspaper and ran out of the court due to his inertia, the judges said that it was considered a foul for he ran out even after he broke the newspaper. Does not make sense to me. And when our newspaper was broken the second time, the attacker ran out too, but we still lost. These caused some unrest, for the judges did not just follow law.

After the game was over, we went to wash up. As usual, there was a long queue outside the chalet bathroom, so my friends and I went to the dirty public bathroom.

Cmc and I were queuing, waiting for ben to come out. Not long after, he did...only that he had nothing on.

cmc: Hey ben, where are your clothes. You are not even wearing your underwear!

ben: I know I know, *towel slips down*, OOPs, *Grabs towel immediately*

cmc: Yesterday you went out of the bathroom without your shirt. Today you come out of a cubicle without anything on. Whats next?

ben: Yes, Im going to put on my underwear now!

ben: Wait. Eh, wears my underwear?!

Fortunately, he found his underwear soon within his huge pile of garments he was struggling with in his arms. Later when I went in, I tried hanging my old underwear up over the door, but as it was too high, I threw too hard and it went over the door and landed hanging on the door knob. My friend jk threw it back to me inaccurately and it landed in the toilet cubicle next to me. I was so frustrated (with the underwear not jk) that I decided to dump all my used clothing together with that stinking undergarment of mine together in a plastic bag.

The problem with most public toilets is that they lacked proper hangers. In ben's and my case, this caused some frustrating problems with handling and seperating the cleans and the dirties.

Dinner passed, and soon it was time for campfire.

to be continued...Part 3 (final) next.

No comments: