Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Birthday Post

Today is my birthday!

First I would like to acknowledge everyone who remembered my birthday or wished me a happy birthday. It means quite a lot, and tells me that I am not forgotten by you.

-Zhang He (one day before)
-Hurberg (12 in the morning on facebook. You should get some sleep.)
-Joelle (Half an hour later via sms)
-Facebook facebook facebook: woanchyi, jens, emily(don't know you much sorry)
-wenhui on msn
-Facebook again: Dillon, Charlene, Fatinn, Cherie, Joie Tan

However I suspect that the only people who actually remembered were Zhang He, Hurberg and Joelle. The rest were either through facebook notifications or I probably "let slip" that my birthday was today.

Its nice how some people just know its your birthday, like after 3 years of not meeting, or without needing facebook urging them to click on those little birthday links under events.

I have seen my friend's walls of Happy Birthdays on their birthday, probably hundreds of them. But its so convenient to post that, sometimes I just do it without actually caring less that its their birthday. Facebook have turned these words meaningless.

***

It wasn't a very extraordinary day, but it felt special, a feeling that something had to be done today.

I did not know what, but one thing is for sure, is that I was not going waste time lying on the bed, slouch past the morning and sit in front of the computer through the afternoon.

Time is precious. It's not just my birthday everyday.

I put on my shoes and went outside. Where should I run today? No way I am going to run laps around the track again, that is utterly boring. So I decided to go around Eastern Pasir Ris like I used to quite sometime ago.

As I approached my usual turn at drive 6, I decided to push myself more. Maybe turn only at Elias road.

No thats too much. Like additional 2km. So I just turned at the Pasir Ris Town Park.

Usual road along drive 3. Boring.

Then I got tired from the extra distance I ran of turning at the park instead of drive 6. So I cut myself short and used it as an excuse to turn back into Pasir Ris st 21 early via drive 2 instead of loyang avenue.

By the time the run was over, my shirt soaked up all my sweat. And it was a white cotton shirt, which turned very cold and sticky and stuck to my chest and turned flesh colour when it got too close to my skin. Couldn't wait to go back up to my apartment to change.

Then I sort of argued with my mum over what kind of milo packaging to buy and she got really impatient and called me wasting her time and I got really irritated for her not instructing clearly enough.

Later I decided it was just better to shut up and go get the shopping done. Then it would be like nothing happened. So I came back feeling much better after that.

I felt like going out afterwards. Being at home was boring. However I got rejected twice when I asked my friends, first because someone injured himself and could not play badminton or swim, and second because someone else was doing nothing much then but would be doing something much later, which means he is not free.

Spent some hours watching Hannah Montana seat coms at home and planned to go swimming alone at Tampines Sports Complex later that afternoon.

But the sky turned dark. Aw do I really have to go back watching seat coms again? However on my birthday the weather was being good enough to me to put on a bright side sometime after, and so I told my mum that I'ld be going after all because, the sky was not that dark after all.

I took the bus, hoping that my effort of packing my bag and opening the door and walking to the bus stop and waiting for the bus would not be wasted as the ominous clouds behind chased after the bus.

I alighted and as I walked to the Sports complex, it rained. Hooray. However, it was my birthday after all, and thus I had a good feeling about this. Waiting would be a wise choice, I told myself. So I went up the the cafe on the second floor of the sports hall and got myself an overpriced mango milk tea with a debris of chewy, disgustingly sticky pearls at the bottom.

The rain stopped. I went to swim. Although the rain was not coming, I felt scared swimming under the grey clouds with distant thunder, so I moved on to the children/baby pool. I moved to and fro for sometime, depending on which side was darker.

I was then wondering whether I should just pack up and leave, but that would seem like a wasted trip. So I waited.

And the competition pool was finally clear of dark clouds, so I went there to swim with peace.

I have never really tried swimming 50m sprints. I tried quite a few times and got like 40, 45 seconds? It was really tiring and making-you-breathless-y, but one thing I like about swimming over running is that you never sweat. :)

When I reached home, I could say I was very hungry. Strange that I don't feel the hunger until sometime after I get out of the pool. I could have eaten 2 dinners!

Later the evening, my family and I cut a birthday cake. My little brother was bawling because it was my birthday and not my 2nd youngest brothers birthday because theoratically, I, am supposed to be last as I am the oldest. My little brother's birthday was most recent, so 'technically' the second youngest birthday should be next. Woah...

Okay the end I am going to sleep good night!

No comments: