Friday, July 11, 2008

A Series of Unfortunate Events - How I arrived fashionably late for German lesson

It was 3:50pm. Everyone was clearing up the biology lab after a long practical lesson which could not exactly be described as interesting. I too, was drawing some diagrams on my worksheet and helping wherever I could.

It turned 4. It marked the end of biology lesson. It marked our release. It marked the start of a race against time.

Well, not exactly-in fact I was taking a little too much of my time walking towards the bus stop. My german lesson starts at 4:30 and based on the time now, by the time I reach my centre, I would be late even if I ran. Thus, I took my time.

As I reached the 196 bus stop, I saw Joelle waiting for her bus to her third language centre too. (Un)fortunately, her centre was at ghim moh, unlike mine, at bishan. She could reach there on time, with assistance of luck.

After a while, it seems that the bus 196 was not coming. Should I take the risk and take the 198 at the other side of the road instead? Perhaps not, 196 might come anytime now.

Months passed, and besides the occasional and frustrating appearance of 198 on the other side of the road, no bus was in sight. Having seen 198 pass twice just like that, I made up my mind and decided to cross the overhead bridge and look out for buses, whichever came first, 196 or 198, I would take it.

I reached the top. I turned my head. I saw a single decked 196 waiting at the bus stop I had been at, passengers loading up slowly. I then realised that it just arrived as my back was faced. climbing the stairs of the overhead bridge. I turned and chased with a heavy bag holding me back. After 2 years, I managed it and boarded the bus panting and laughing at myself. Have you ever experienced that? Laughing and panting at the same time-a painful experience.

20 minutes have passed, and I just got onto the bus.

We reached the MRT station. Joelle still had a chance of getting to her class on time. I had none. Cheryl, Kat and Yan did not need to worry at all; they did not have any lessons.

I boarded the train and after decades, I finally reached my interchange stop. I checked the board-3 minutes to the next train. Thus, I passed my time as I turned around and observed the MRT route map just behind me.

Just as I got bored of staring at a network of green, red and purple lines, I turned around, I saw the MRT doors closing. Guess what, I was so engrossed in a map that I did not realise my train come. One of my weaknesses; I like looking at maps. Sometimes, when I have nothing to do, I just go to google maps to pass my time off.

4:45pm. This time, I did not dare turn my back anymore. I boarded the next train and finally arrived at Bishan.

I reached the bus interchange. I was really late. Bus 53 came. Being too lazy to walk 200 metres, I made a dash for it. Not knowing that my bag was not zipped properly, my graphing calculator fell out and hit the ground with considerable impact. The good thing is that I could hear it ten metres away due to the noise it made. The bad thing was the impact, but it was not damaged, which is a good thing. Once again, when I boarded the bus, I was panting, fortunately not laughing this time.

I knocked, opened the door, entered the class late by 45 minutes. That's a record! But the teacher did not care. He never does.

Moral of the story: Look behind once in a while, we might have missed something.

No comments: