Monday, November 21, 2011

ARP

To graduate, I would require the completion of an ‘Advanced Research Project’. I have done a project last year, and am currently working on another one. However, I would like to do another one next year, a mathematical project next year, probably self-proposed, as I want to do something in which I know what I am doing, I am sure of, have passion in, and can be proud of. I want to graduate knowing that I have completed the requirement with indubitable honesty, to be able to answer to my conscience, not in projects in which I constantly speculate its direction, in which half the time I blindly heed directions and brushing through task after task. I need a project meaningful to me. Nevertheless, I am going to complete my current project seriously. I am not going to abandon it halfway, or let me attention deviate from it to focus on unfledged plans. A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.

I am fortunate to have those to encouraging me to pursue what I find is a deficiency in my academia, but what I find rather disappointing was the reasons some teachers gave to make me reconsider. If I take up a project next year, I might not have the time for it, as I ‘would have to prepare for APs’. I am dropping stats next year, giving me more time for other stuff. Still, what is this school’s obsession with APs? What is the big deal about APs, and so what if we have or not a perfect record of 5s? Not to mention, that the AP is not even an extremely challenging exam which marks the pinnacle of intelligence and learning.

Then I am told that if I do the project, I will not get to send it for any competitions anyway as it is too late to start. That annoyed me quite a bit, as competitions or not is not my concern. This is a field I am interested in and perhaps, even if i can’t put it on the top priority, I could work little by little in my spare time like a hobby, and see what I can come up with by the end of six months. If I can conjure a fully fledged project, good for me! If I can’t I still have my current ARP to back me up. (To be honest there is a little bit of me who is jealous of a certain someone (female) who got to do so many math projects. Smile with tongue out)

Let’s call it a field that I am keen to discover more about on my own, rather than a project which so many negative connotations. And I am thus told that it would be unfair to the teacher who guides me should I not put this new ‘project’ on a high priority.

Of course I am not saying that I won’t put it on high priority, above the more important things like…wait I’m not taking APs, and I’m doing better than many others in exams (not being arrogant, just stating truth), well what else, the only thing I can think of is my senior recital, and I don't even think the school takes music as seriously as their math and science. How hard could it be to not find time for something that I like?

But to say that it is unfair to the teacher who would mentor me is akin to saying that it is the quintessential desecration of music committed by those who play the piano as a mode to relax. I must reiterate that I am not doing this because I want more projects showing up on my transcript!

Although teachers hope the best for the students by not wanting them to overstress themselves and wanting the best for their transcript, I find it rather disappointing that many times they focus too much on the end result that they neglect the process of learning, or the ultimate objective of education of becoming an independent learner. The way things are done are not only not encouraging students to learn for passion, but also killing whatever desire for learning that students have when it comes.

All these, SSEF, Olympiads, APs; I’m sick with this obsession with ‘whatever is good for your transcript’. I have a passion in something, only to be run down by realistic expectations set by others.

No comments: