Saturday, October 25, 2008

First day of the exams

Yesterday was the first day. Four papers- English paper 1, English paper 2, Chinese paper 1 and Chinese paper 2. They lasted all the way up to 5pm.

English Paper 1: My essay topic was "A typical rainy evening". I tranformed the rainy evening into an orchestra and the sounds into a symphony.

Lightning crack: Conductor's stick
Thunder: Opening chords of the symphony
Splashing footsteps: Cymbals
Sputtering engine of the bus: Tremeloes of a double bass
Car wheels scratching against the road shoulder: Bassoon
Car skidding and crashing against a truck: Impatient violininst making his violin creak because of the slow music and smashing it against a cello :P

English Paper 2: One comprehension and one summary, how long could it take? Of the 1 hour 45 minutes given, I finished the paper in an hour. It was not too hard, and I fell asleep on the table...

When I woke up, I realised that the hall was empty and my paper was the only one left uncollected! Out of shock, I woke up(for real this time). Dreaming while sleeping in the middle of the exam...Interesting...

For lunch, I had one of the best meals I had in school ever. Then we had a nice, long group chat on the lunch table before the chinese paper. That rejuvenated my energy for some reason.

Chinese Paper 1: At first I did not know what to write about, so I finally chose my topic and thought of the storyline after half an hour of thinking. TZY and joelle gave me the inspiration for the essay:)

The story is about how "I" lost a diamond 4 from a deck of cards belonging to my brother. Then "I" blamed everyone about it. However, when "I" finally found it in my pocket, I learnt about how we should stop blaming others and try to work on ourselves first. Thats it-one of the longest chinese essays I have ever written. The introduction of setting the scene was flooded with description and lasted one and a half pages long. The main conflict was recited in two and a half pages and I had a half page conclusion. For some unknown reason, I felt quite happy after finishing that essay.

Chinese Paper 2: Considerably tired out by the first three paper already, and it being in the late afternoon, I worked twice as slowly and got very restless for this paper and finished it just in time. It was slightly tricky but not too hard.

After it was all over, I went home (duh). That marks the end of the first day of the exams. :)

No comments: